Monday, October 17, 2011

And soon baby will make 4.

We had our 36 week prenatal appt. two Fridays ago. My tummy measured big, so my ob/gyn recommended that we have an ultrasound done to see what's going on (possibilities: baby is big, lots of amniotic fluid, or how I'm carrying the baby).

The ultrasound was done last Tuesday. It wasn't too long after the technician began that we learned Samantha's a big baby. Her head measured big enough for a 42 week baby, her tummy measured 41 weeks, and her femur (in her leg) measured 38 weeks. The average size of Samantha was about 39 weeks. The measurements also gave us a ballpark idea of her weight, 8 pounds 11 ounces. That's a pound bigger than Courtney when she was born at 39 weeks. And I was only 36 weeks!!! There is still room for error, but it's a pretty good guesstimate.

Now what?

My ob/gyn contacted me quickly and we discussed a few options. We opted with a scheduled c-section! Save the date for October 30, 2011. Now, the baby may decide to come on her own before that, but we'll have a c-section either way. With the size she was a week ago, Samantha could get shoulder distotia if she's born naturally. I'd rather take on the extra stress to my body than worry about her getting stuck and/or having to recover from something like that.

After much discussion with the doctor and with Drew, it's the best decision for Samantha and I.

I also began Maternity Leave today. I did a few things around the house (the dishes and made two loaves of pumpkin bread), but Drew did A LOT this weekend (cleaned the carpets (not just vacuuming), the bathrooms, lots of laundry, lots of grocery shopping, etc.). I don't know what I'd do without a husband and father to our little girls like him.

So, in less than 2 weeks (if not beforehand), we'll have our little pumpkin in our arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment